[SUBTRACTION] FINAL

So for the final, I used the wood lathe to make cups. In terms of stock, I had two different approach but same material, poppler. One is from the leftover wood from Gordie’s office. The other is from the Midtown lumber.

In terms of design, I wanted to make a wooden cup looks like the starbucks coffee cup so that I can use the plastic lids of any coffee cups.

1. I chopped the wood half and used the no name wood glue to put them together.

20160428_155728

And I used the jigs to put them together. I waited for a day to dry. Otherwise, I did not want the pieces fly away on the lathe.

20160428_160750

As the glued piece gets dried, I tackle the wood from the midtown lumber. I chopped them in to three and trimmed the one with the lathe.

20160428_165524

20160428_165952

20160428_165956

20160428_170034

20160428_171556

20160428_173630

After trimming, I trimmed the bottom more to use other chuck that goes without live end. Also, I cut them in half to prevent wobbling from the length. I left little bit of center that I can break with the parting chisel.

20160428_193008

20160428_194555

And I switched to the grabbing chuck and used the two drill bits and one spade bit to hog out the center of the wood.

20160428_200629

After hogging out, I marked the depth at the outside with the red marker.

20160428_201900

I hogged out little by little and it was really dangerous feeling. As the wood is rotating there were moments sucking in the chisel.

20160428_203144

Since this was the test I tried to mock the shape of wine glass.

20160428_213645

20160428_213648

After finishing it, I noticed the mark from the spade bit left a small hole at the center. So, for the next time, I did not drill too deep with the spade bit.

 

The glued piece was too huge, I needed to cut the sides of the wood with the band saw. 20160429_135234

20160429_140551_001

After that, I trimmed the wood.

20160429_142539

20160429_150925

After trimming, I cut it into half.

20160429_160357

I drilled the hole. eye-balling with the starbucks cup.

20160429_161239

20160429_161337

After drilling, I made a bigger hole with the chisels.

20160429_163500

20160429_170023

This time, I used the caliper to match the depth to the outside to avoid too much material at the bottom.

20160429_170653

After that, it was all sanding.

20160429_173726

20160429_173729

And I did the same breaking trick and sanded off the bottom.A

20160429_174244

I wrote my name first and I applied walnut oil borrowed from Jordan.

20160429_220920

After drying them for several days, it was all done!! …..Yet. 20160430_193839

20160430_193858

20160430_193915

I tried to trim the bottom and there was no room in between live end  and the cup. So I tried to trim it without the live-end and the cup flew.

20160502_141825

20160502_142333

So I tried to tighten more and gave it a crack. So I concluded my final here.

20160502_142737.jpg

20160430_193811.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s